2020 MTL King Sejong Korean Speech & Writing Contest
When : The final will take place on June 6th, 2020 at 14:00 – 17:00
Where : The contest will take place online
Participants can be students of King Sejong Institute in Montreal or other Korean learners in Montreal
(Qualifications : 16 years of age or older, not native speaker of Korean)
- Select your preference between Speech and Writing part
- Select your subject among the followings,
- Speech 1: “내가 사랑하는 한국문화“ (The Korean culture that I love)
- Speech 2: “한국어로 꿈꾸는 나의 미래“ (My dream future with Korean)
- Writing 1: “나의 한국어 선생님을 소개합니다” (Introduction of my teacher)
- Writing 2: “내가 한국어 선생님이 된다면? ” (What if I become a Korean teacher?)
3. If you select the speech competition, record video at least 1 minute.
If you select the writing competition, your essay must be over 300 characters.
[Speech Part Restrictions]
- No aids may be used while performing your speech. (Ex: no songs or videos may be used and the use of cue cards or cellphones is prohibited.)
- No editing of the video is allowed.
- The speech needs to be memorized.
[Writing Part Restrictions]
- No aids other than a dictionary may be used while writing your essay.
- Plagiarism is not tolerated. (Write your own ideas or your own experienced.)
- Write your essay on the attached Form.
How to apply
- Fill out the application form.
- Scan your ID( to verify your name and face) and application form.
- Send us your scans by May 9th. (accepted by email or phone: (514)721-3480)
- Send us your recording or essay by May 23th.
- Speeches are evaluated according to originality, manner of presentation, fluency, grammar and pronunciation.
- Essays assessed according to originality, structure, diversity of expression, accuracy.
- The panel is comprised of 5 judges involved in Korean Language Education in Montreal.
- The selection of candidates participating in the final will be done by May 30th.
- A Top 10 will be assembled for both Speech and Writing in Montreal.
[Final in Montreal]
Video Call at 14:00 June 6th, 2020
- The logistical details will be shared with the candidates before the event. (Ex. Use of YouTube Live, Zoom or Google hangouts, etc)
- All contestants will have to do a self-introduction and do an interview.
- Award prizes to each Top 5 winners. (Total worth $2000)
- One Grand Prize Winner : A place in the 2020 세종학당 한국어 말하기 쓰기 대회 including a round-trip airline ticket, residence fares. ( ** It can be cancelled because of COVID-19 situation)
[Final in Korea] 2020 세종학당 한국어 말하기 쓰기 대회 in Korea
- All contestants will participate in a “Group mission” and will do an interview.
- Each Top 8 winners will be awarded a place in the language program at a major university in Korea or Scholarships and gifts.
** We will notify later just in case it is cancelled in the COVID-19.
Application submission and Speech& Writing submission : Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Download application form and manuscript paper here.